Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIP Wendesday

Circle Quilt made with Japanese inspired fabric. I just need to get the binding on it. Even after the pebble quilting I still don't like it.

Our quilt guild is having a calender challenge. Our goal is to print a 2013 calender to raise funds and have each month showcase a member's mini quilt. We had to draw a month and make an original quilt showing what the month means to you. I drew August. A lot of ideas went through my head before I started, an applique of fishing, county fairs, laundry on the line, I ended up with quilts on the line. I used leftover pinwheel and double hourglass blocks for two quilts, then a simple patchwork, a tree to match my pillow, a circle quilt and a bulls eye quilt. It just needs to be bound.

Close-up of my Mini Tree Quilt
 I took my test Swoon block and made it into a big tablerunner. I added corner pockets in the back so it can be used as a wall hanging too. I love this block - I just need to find the time to make more. I am thinking of using all my scrap fabric to make them. Needs to be bound.
 This weekend I made a Valentine mug rug. I did straight line quilting on the stripes 1/4 inch apart. I love that look. Just needs to be bound.
 Then instead of working on my wirly gigs that I started a few weeks ago, I started a plus quilt from Camille's book. You need to have alot of quiet time with no kids or husbands around to get this laid out - it is very easy to lose track of where you are in the pattern. I only did the first 13 rows and started sewing them together Monday night. After I had two rows sewn together, I had to tear them apart - I had swapped fabrics so the pluses weren't lining up right :)

Other WIPS
1. New Wave quilt - needs to be bound
2. Wirly Gigs - I was going to make 2 baby quilts but might make one large quilt - so until I decide, this is on hold.

My goal this year is to use up my stash - I put a little bit of a dent in it last year but have a long ways to go. The only new fabric I plan on buying is my Kona white and I want to make twin quilts for my boys. I am leaning towards Hall of Fame. All the boys fabric that I've seen are geared towards toddlers, I want to pick something that they will be able to use for a long time.

2 comments:

Becky said...

You have some great project there! Love the linen!!!

Kristy QP said...

Love, love, love your mini-quilt. So creative!